City Manager's Update
The City Manager's Update is a regular news briefing that is provided to the citizens of Galt. The Update includes important City news, updates on key initiatives and projects, and how the City is delivering services and responding to any concerns from our community.
Eugene M. Palazzo, City Manager
BI-WEEKLY REPORT - April 7, 2017
• The City of Galt and the surrounding county areas have a number of homeless living in various locations. Most of the calls for service are in and around vegetative areas such as the riverfront, some creek areas and sometimes unoccupied houses or out buildings. The City receives calls for service through police dispatch, Tip 411, Galt Connect and e-mail letting the Police Department know about a camp site or garbage collecting in an area. Since January 2016 to present, the Police Department’s dispatch has received 40 citizen initiated calls for service and 56 officer initiated calls.
The issue of homelessness is one Sacramento and the surrounding counties are grappling with and the City of Galt is no exception. The City of Galt does not have a large homeless population; however, there are homeless living in the city limits and the unincorporated areas surrounding Galt. City staff have been attending regional meetings to better understand the complexity of the issue and coordinate with agencies that can provide assistance.
Drug Take Back Day
• The Galt Police Department will again partner with the Drug Enforcement Administration for the 13th National Prescription Drug Take Back Day. Medications no longer needed, have expired, or otherwise require disposal can be taken to our collection site at the Galt Police Department on Saturday, April 29, 2017, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Drug Take Back Day aims to provide a safe, convenient, and ecologically responsible method of prescription drug disposal while also educating the public about the potential for abuse of medications.
• Dispatcher Chelsie Yourdon started April 3 and the newest Police Officer Recruit, Gregory Steele, is expected to start April 17.
• The Speaker Series continues April 19, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm at the Police Department, Anthony Pescetti Community Room, to meet City Staff.
NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH MEETING REMINDERS
• Monday, April 24, 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Regional Neighborhood Watch Meeting will be held at New Hope Church, 200 New Hope Road.
• Wednesday, April 26, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm, Heritage Senior Park, 700 2nd Street; 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, Galt Place Senior Apartments, 400 D Street; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm, Three Palms Mobile Estates, 604 Pringle Avenue. Topic is addressing the concerns of Galt’s senior citizens.
• Saturday, April 29, 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm, neighborhood watch block party, Cinnamon Drive. Topics will include crime trends, Walker Park activity, traffic and graffiti.
4th Street Improvements
Initial prep work will begin within the next week on the 4th Street Improvements Project, subject to any inclement weather impacts. Initial notifications of the pending work have been given to businesses in the immediate vicinity. Periodic updates will be sent to businesses to keep them abreast of scheduling for pending work and any significant impacts anticipated for each project phase. Discussions are planned with Chamber of Commerce representatives regarding potential impacts and alternatives for upcoming Food Truck Mania events, during the construction period.
The City’s residential production homes slowed down for a short time due to weather; however they are ramping up again and building continues at a considerable pace to make up for the past weather delays.
• Arco and Starbucks plans have been approved and the contractor has been selected. Permits are ready to be issued.
• Rita’s Italian Ice has submitted a permit application and plans for tenant improvements located at 1067 C Street, Suite 140.
• Pastosa by Lucia Restaurant submitted a business license application to be located in the old Squeeze Inn location at 545 Industrial Drive. They anticipate opening within the next month.
• BMD plans have been approved and a permit issued to build a new 24,000 square foot warehouse located at 65 Ellinwood Court.
• Lodi Health Galt Medical Clinic located at 387 Civic Drive has submitted tenant improvement plans for their waiting and exam rooms.
• Cosumnes Community Services District Fire Station #45, 229 5th Street, submitted a permit application and plans for a new rooftop solar system.
PARKS AND RECREATION
• Pool maintenance in preparation for swim season to start.
• Waterslide maintenance in preparation for annual State inspection. Removing rust/calcium buildup and painting metal support structure.
• Turf maintenance on Walker Park natural turf soccer fields. Completed aeration to entire field and re-seeded worn out areas.
• Replacing larger wooden play structure located at Galt Community Park.
• A two-day children’s art class has been added for May 8 and 15.
• Softball tournament scheduled for April 8 and 9 at Galt Community Park and Sports Complex, weather permitting.