City Council Ratifies Local Emergency
Galt City Council Declares Local Emergency
Ratifies March 13, 2020 Declaration
City Opens Emergency Operations Center
The Galt City Council unanimously adopted a resolution declaring a local emergency related to the coronavirus known as COVID-19, at a special meeting of the Council on Tuesday night. The Council’s resolution ratified the actions of the City Manager who declared a local emergency on March 13, 2020. The Council had seven days to ratify the City Manager’s original declaration. The establishment of a local emergency provides the necessary basis to request state and national resources for the City to respond to the crisis, if needed. In calling for community unity Mayor Paul Sandhu stated, “It is important the we not panic. We need to work together through this public health crisis to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Sandhu added, “It is important that we heed the precautions from the Centers for Disease Control and other health authorities.”
The City of Galt opened its emergency operations center (“EOC”) at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, as a step in establishing readiness to respond to community-wide needs during the COVID-19 crisis. The City’s EOC is open, but not officially activated. The EOC establishes necessary communication with the Sacramento County Office of Emergency Services and other city EOC’s throughout the county.
In keeping with directives from the state and county, the City will cancel all committee and commission meetings through mid-April. The City will assess the status of special orders issued by jurisdictional authorities relative to the conduct of group events during the COVID-19 crisis and adjust the timing of these cancellations as necessary.
The City has also postponed the March 30, 2020, Galt Market Community Plan meeting and will set and advertise an alternate date consistent with guidance from public health authorities.
Previous Information related to City event cancellations and facility closures:
During the City facility closure period members of the public can contact the city at the following telephone numbers. If an in-person meeting is required, we will work with you to schedule an appointment:
• Public Works = 209-366-7260
• Community Development/Building = 209-366-7200
• Recreation = 209-366-7180
• Finance & Utility Billing Information = 209 366-7150
• City Manager / City Clerk = 209-366-7100
• Human Resources = 209-366-7103
• Sewer and Water Emergencies, (209) 366-7000, before 7:30 am and after 5:30 pm on Mon.-Th., all day Fri., Weekends, and Holidays.
• A full listing of contact numbers is available at: http://www.ci.galt.ca.us/about-galt/city-contact-information
The Galt Police Department lobby will be closed effective March 19, 2020, but persons needing non-emergency assistance can contact the department at 209-366-7000.
• Dial 911 for life threatening emergency assistance.
• Call 209-366-7000 for non-emergency police assistance.
The City has cancelled or postponed the following special events:
Postponed Special Events
• Earth Day Celebration – Postponed until Fall
• Shred-It Event – Postponed to a future date.
• Meals On Wheels – Last meals were sent out by contractor on March 16, 2020 and will be closed for a minimum of 3 weeks
Cancelled Special Events
• 11th Annual Eggstravaganza on April 4, 2020 has been cancelled.
• Tequila Festival on May 30, 2020 has been cancelled.
• Galt Market is closed for the month of March 2020.
• Parks and Recreation programming is postponed through April 5, 2020.
• City park facilities are closed to group use through April 5, 2020
The City will issue additional releases as conditions warrant or information changes. Please watch the City’s website at www.ci.galt.ca.us for further information on potential cancellations and postponements.