It is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the City of Galt without first having procured a license from the City.
Business licenses are issued pursuant to Chapter 5 of the Galt Municipal Code (GMC).
- New Business License and Renewals
First owner or employee $41.00; each additional employee $10. See application for possible additional fees.
- Quarterly Business License
Business license taxes for suppliers of materials, goods and services to fixed places of business in the city have been established at $10.00 per quarter or $41.00 per calendar year. See application for possible additional fees.
- Galt Market License
To sell at the Galt Market, you are required to have a Market Business License. You may purchase a license at the Market Office, Monday-Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. For more information please contact the Market Office @ 209-366-7161.
- Home Occupation License
Zoning conformance approval required. Contact Finance Department, Business License Division for more information. See application for possible additional fees.
- Rental Properties
A business license is required if you have rental properties. See application for possible additional fees.
- Your license is due and payable on the FIRST DAY OF JANUARY in advance. If payments are not received within thirty (30) days from due date, a penalty of $28 will be charged.
- Licenses must be posted in a conspicuous place within the business location.
- Please direct any questions related to Business License requirements, fees, etc. to:
Finance Department Business License Division
- Please complete the appropriate business license application and return with applicable fees to:
City of Galt
Attn: Business Licensing
380 Civic Drive
Galt, CA 95632
NOTE: You may be entitled to an exemption from the Business License Tax.
- Businesses exempt under State or Federal Statutes
- Charitable organizations (proof of non-profit status is required)
- Businesses conducted in home in residential zone with annual gross receipts of $1,000 or less (Schedule C may be required)
- Owner or Partner who has been honorably discharged from one of the United States armed services (Form DD214 required)
- Farmers, poultry men, or horticulturists who sell exclusively their own products
- Banks; Insurance Companies or Associations; Intercity Transportation Business; Interstate Commerce
State Board of Equalization (BOE) - Various forms required from BOE can be downloaded.
Fictitious Business Name Statements - Forms can be downloaded. Please click here.
State Establishment License Requirements and Form - State establishment license requirements and forms for potential salon and barbershop owners can be downloaded or contact (800)952-5210.