http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlselicensing.htmlIt is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the City of Galt without first having procured a license from the City.
Business licenses are issued pursuant to Chapter 5 of the Galt Municipal Code (GMC).
- New Business License and Renewals Application
First owner or employee $40.00 + $10.00 per each additional employee + $4.00 ADA fee. See application for possible additional fees.
- Quarterly Business License Application
Business license taxes for suppliers of materials, goods and services to fixed places of business in the city have been established at $10.00 per quarter or $40.00 per calendar year + $4.00 ADA fee. See application for possible additional fees.
- Home Occupation License Application
Zoning conformance approval required. Contact Finance Department, Business License Division for more information. See application for possible additional fees.
- Rental Properties Application
A business license is required if you have rental properties. See application for possible additional fees.
- Galt Market Business License Information
To sell at the Galt Market, you are required to have a Galt Market Business License. This license can only be purchased in person at the Galt Market office located on the market grounds. For more information please contact the Market Office @ 209-366-7161.
- Your license is due and payable on the first day of January in advance. If payments are not received within thirty (30) days from due date, a penalty will be incurred per Galt Municipal Code 5.04.180 (listed below).
5.04.180 License tax-penalty for failure to pay when due.
For failure to pay a license tax when due, the tax collector shall add a penalty of ten percent of the license tax on the last day of each month after the due date thereof, providing that the amount of such penalty to be added shall in no event exceed sixty percent of the amount of license tax due. (Ord. 77-6 § 1 (part): Ord. 118 § 20, 1966: prior code § 9221)
- Licenses must be posted in a conspicuous place within the business location.
- Please direct any questions related to Business License requirements, fees, etc. to:
Finance Department Business License Division
- Please complete the appropriate business license application and return with applicable fees to:
City of Galt
Attn: Business Licensing
380 Civic Drive
Galt, CA 95632
NOTE: You may be entitled to an exemption from the Business License Tax.
- Businesses exempt under State or Federal Statutes
- Charitable organizations (proof of non-profit status is required)
- Businesses conducted in home in residential zone with annual gross receipts of $1,000 or less (Schedule C may be required)
- Owner or Partner who has been honorably discharged from one of the United States armed services (Form DD214 required)
- Farmers, poultry men, or horticulturists who sell exclusively their own products
- Banks; Insurance Companies or Associations; Intercity Transportation Business; Interstate Commerce
California State Board of Equalization (BOE) - Information, forms and publications.
US Small Business Administration - Choose your business name (Doing Business As (DBA) name). Register your business name and protect it.
Department of Consumer Affairs - Board of Barbering and Cosmetology, forms for salons or barbershops.
State of California Department of Industrial Relations - Labor Commissioner's Office, tools and resources for employers.